Introduction

This blog serves to expose the inside of the Medical Protection Society in a way that will surprise the reader. After all what is the MPS? It is said to be a discretionary mutually beneficial society created to help doctors facing disciplinary problems. It boasts of the fact that there will always be a medical advisor on hand to support you and look after your best interests. But is that what really happens and whose interests are they really looking after doctor? Is it really yours? Well it probably is if you are a consultant or a GP principle. If however you are neither of these then it may not be your best interests they are looking after but in fact someone elses best interests including their own and including your regulator's interests. In fact it is likely that they will be acting with a conflict of interests, whilst hoping that you the doctor will not twig there is anything wrong and if you do they will smooth it over with their emollient words, assuring you that all is OK. Can you really be sure? You cannot. This blog will tell the tale of this organisation and what lies in it's archives. It will tell a story of cover up. This is it as never before.

Monday 9 April 2007

Complaints - Contact priya.singh@mps.org.uk

The Emigrant wonders how Priya Singh can investigate a complaint about herself. There must be a conflict of interests. Moreover how serious is the complaint about Priya Singh and what is it that she did wrong? Can she really treat a complaint seriously or fairly as the MPS claims it will do? I asked the doctor who had told me the problem she had with Priya Singh, who in essence bullied her and added to the stress she was already suffering. She said that as well as the problem when Priya Singh had threatened her over the telephone, she was also invited to make a complaint about the way in which the MPS had dealt with her previously, not the least of which was because a leading counsel had already told the MPS that she had not been represented properly and if he had represented the doctor in the past then the GMC would not have been allowed to get away with what they did. It was after this that Priya Singh collared the doctor on the phone and threatened her. Eventually the doctor made her complaint about the former advisor and the former chairman of the MPS Council, who, when faced with the dilemma of what to do about the GMC and the doctor's employer then did little or nothing to protect her position. In essence they had also acted unethically and in breach of what would now be called Good Medical Practise. As both of them remain registered and one now does work for the GMC then the doctor had put in a very serious complaint indeed. She heard nothing for many weeks, in spite of the urgency of the situation and by chance discovered through her advisor that the matter still lay in Priya Singh's office untouched. Shortly thereafter leading counsel expressed himself forcefully to the advisor, who had told the doctor not to mention to leading counsel that she had made a complaint against the MPS. Under all the circumstances leading counsel was left in the dark and the doctor was stitched up again by the MPS, or so it seemed. The doctor then sent her complaint to the MPS legal claims division who booted it out to solicitors. The doctor said, "I have no idea how the MPS intend to handle this but they have, by their actions and inactions and lack of transparency failed to deal with this in a timely or fair way. I have now instructed solicitors. This is not the first time I have had to do this when the MPS were supposed to be representing me. Last time they eventually had to pay for my private solicitors to do the job which they and their solicitors failed to do. This beneficial society of doctors knows it is causing me even more stress and damage. I feel almost heartbroken to think that they could be so polite and solicitous and all the time they were sticking two fingers up at me." The Emigrant asks you to consider whether they can be trusted and whether Priya Singh is a suitable person to genuinely handle real and serious complaints? This complaints system may only be window dressing.

2 comments:

paul said...

MPS dropped my case 1 week before the employment Tribunal. Because of the protected disclosures I had made. MPS would not support the public interest disclosure side of my case, but just the unfair dismissal side.
The reason for my dismissal was because I raised health and safety issues and that I was constructively dismissed
In the end I had to represent my self. I feel badly let down by MPS. They have wasted thousands of pounds to protect the TRUST and its interests of keeping public harm issues I raised out of the spot light.

paul said...

MPS has had my case file and bundle for 2 weeks now, I have heard nothing and my case is next Tuesday at the court of appeal.Let me guess what will happen.

MPS will call tomorrow Thursday 12th Feb and say that council will not think my case is worthy.
So then I will have represent myself again at short notice. Lets see what happens........
if it happens again?!